Tuesday, February 9, 2010

NoseFrida Review (*Gross Warning*) + Bow Update

So I know that this blog is for bows, but its also my only blog so I have to include "motherly" things as well.
Ness has had some serious boogers since he was born. It may have to do with his "leaky eye" thing but he also may get it from me. Well, as you can imagine, he HATES anything dealing with his face ESPECIALLY his nose. I always used the bulb syringe, it hardly ever worked but it got some out so that's why I continued to use it. Well lately his nose had gotten really bad. To the point that I had to put a pillow under his mattress and two pillows on either side of him (that stopped him from rolling over as well and keeps him "snug" which he likes). I tried using the bulb syringe, like always it just got a tiny bit out, and the more I used it the more I realized that it was causing the inside of his nose to bleed. And of course that was making him scream even more. I started to research other options...they HAD to be out there! That's when I came across the NoseFrida. I saw that they were sold at Whole Foods (of course not ours, when I asked them why he said that it was hard to convince people to use it...bc of the "gross" factor...dang southerners...) and Target (not ours either). So we ordered if off of Amazon, the reviews for it were awesome (I think they were ALL 4 or 5 stars (out of five stars)). It was about $18 plus tax (we get free shipping at Amazon, you can also get it from nosefrida.com I do believe). It comes in a handy carrying case.

So it came in, I was excited yet a little grossed out to use it. For those of you who know me well know that this is the sort of thing that gets me excited....I love being able to "see progress" (the booger tube is clear..lol).

So Michael and I got Ness in his "booger sucking" position and started to suck away. You put the red piece in your mouth and the blue part in his nose. If you go to their website you will see that they have done several studies on this product. They have found that 0% of bacteria gets to the mouth piece if the filter is in. I am not sure how because the filter is basically a sponge cut in the shape of a circle...but I will believe the study.
His boogers were so hard bc he had had them for quite some time, so they wouldn't budge. We put some salt water in with the bulb syringe, still not budging. I was sucking with one solid suck...one solid suck doesnt work (make note). We got a decent amount out but not enough to satisfy me. The next day I decided to do it after we took a bath. I used a wash cloth to dampen the inside of his nose (yeah.hes not a big fan of this) while in the bath. His boogers were much looser. But this time I tried sucking it a different way, instead of one big suck I did a bunch of tiny little sucks. This cleaned his nose right out. So the boogers have to be soft and you have to suck in short bursts.

Just so you know, the boogers barely get past the tip, much less into the mouth pieces...and even if it did get to the filter I cant see it making its way ALL the way up to the mouthpiece. And even if it did you would be able to see it and stop before you inhaled boogers (but that wont happen).

So a summary is that he still REALLY hates it but he doesnt cry as long and since it just sets at the opening of his nose (and doesnt go in) it doesnt cause him much actual pain, he just doesnt like the feeling of having his nose cleaned out. Another con is that the main tube is not firmly attached to the rest of the device so you have to make sure you hold it one while you are sucking (it just sits on top, doesnt latch..Im sure there is a reason..but I dont know what it is).
The good things are that it really works, and you can SEE what you get out. You can also hear it. If the boogers are nice and loose all you do is move the nose piece around the edge of the nose to get all of it, you can hear it getting it...I really like that aspect of it.
Its very affordable. I think that it can also be used for adults...but we haven't had to use it yet so I cant vouch for that.
Overall I think its worth the $18.
Let me know if you have more questions!

Bow business is going well, well decently. My grandmother sold 5 big ones (Saints and LSU colors). I had to order the ribbon online (which I will probably do from here on out) because the stores didnt have it. I havent gotten the ribbon yet but I hope to have them done by this weekend. That website (Ribbon Retreat) has the CUTEST ribbon ever. I cant wait to buy some, but I am waiting until I have paid myself back for money spent (will be done after I sell two this weekend, already have someone that wants them). I sold 2 baby buds (tiny flower bows) to a friend of mine. I have been making more flowers, but I am going to order more ribbons and make more big bows and maybe a few more small ones. I have the felt to make cats and turtles. I made "Pigs with Pigtails" this weekend, very cute; and I have already made elephants, monkeys, and snails. I am also going to make some wooden bow holders. I am going to get the wood this weekend (leftovers from my brothers cabinet business) and I will attach ribbons to it. I plan to personalize them at the craft fair. I will make one with "Quibby's Bows" or something and then the rest will be fully painted but left blank where the name goes, then at the craft fair I will paint them (hopefully they wont take to long to dry!). I think I will make 15 of those, or more if my brother has more wood. I plan to make 200 bows and a few headbands (I ordered one and I am going to see if I can braid a ribbon on it..it was cheap so if I mess it up, not such a big loss). I know its a lot but I am going really fast through the 100 clips I ordered. I will sell them at the craft fair in MS and then the following weekend is another one. If I am successful I may try and join the arts association in Baton Rouge because they have "shows" once a month..tuition is very cheap.
Anyways, that is all! I will post pics soon.

Oh, Michael found a greyhound dog this morning roaming around lost and shivering. He has a collar and we are trying to get in touch with the owner but so far no luck. He is laying on the couch right now...lol.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the write-up! We are a small company so we appreciate when anyone writes about us.... The main tube clicks into the rest of the aspirator with a hard snap. It fits very snugly and you do not need to hold anything together. If you need any other questions answered, let us know!
    Best,
    Nosefrida "The Snotsucker"

    ReplyDelete
  2. i DID THIS WITH MY SON WAY BACK! LOL I KNEW IT WOULD BE A GOOD INVENTION!

    ReplyDelete